Tour to Kunya Urgench and Gaz Crater Darvaza
Welcome to a two-day tour to the mysterious crater Darvaza, which has not ceased to burn for the past 45 years. The tour begins with a meeting on the border of Shavat - Dashoguz. The nearest cities of Uzbekistan: Khiva and Nukus.
08:00 Morning transfer from Khiva / Nukus / Urgench to Uzbek - Turkmen border pass "Shavat" (60 km).
Arrival to the border pass office. Meet by Turkmenistan guide and transfer to Kunya Urgench (100 km), the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Once an important stronghold of the Achaemenid Empire, it once contained the city of Khoresm whose stunning ruins and amazing architecture draw visitors today.
11:00 Excursion to Kunya Urgench with visits to Mausoleum of Turabek Khanum, Minaret of Kutlug Timur, Mausoleum of Sultan Tekesh, Mausoleum of Il-Arslan, Najamuddin Kubra Mausoleum and others.
13:00 Transfer to Karakum desert, directly to gas crater Darwaza (4 hrs).
In 1971 geologists accidentally found an underground cavern filled with natural gas. The ground beneath the drilling rig collapsed, leaving a large hole with a diameter of about 50-100 meters. To avoid poisonous gas discharge, it was decided to burn the gas. Geologists had hoped the fire would go out in a few days but it has been burning ever since. Locals have named the cavern The Gate to Hell, and the sight of the crater at night indeed gives a somewhat spooky feel.
The views are most impressive in the dark.
21:00 Barbeque dinner and overnight in tents.
10:00 Transfer from Gaz crater to Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan border post by car (5 hours). Border formalities on both sides. On Uzbekistan side meet the driver and transfer to Khiva / Nukus / Urgench. The end of the tour.
|Group of tourists||Price per person|
|2 -3 person||$350|
- Visa support (invitation letter, registration, travel pass)
- Overland transport by air-conditioned foreign-brand 4WD vehicles with driver, as per table (in Turkmenistan)
- Accommodation based on private trekking tent (including foam sleeping mats, sleeping bags, pillows, foldable chairs and tables, toilet tent), including breakfast
- English-speaking local guide services for full duration of program (in Turkmenistan)
- Entrance fees to all sites mentioned in the program
- Full board meals (combination picnic style, camp style, local restaurant/cafe (1 lunchб 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)
- Bottled drinking water en route 1,5 l per person per day
- Transfers in Uzbekistan: from Khiva / Nukus / Urgench to border pass and back (standard sedan);
- Turkmenistan tourist visa from 55+4 USD per person, when obtained at land borders (subject to change; nationality dependent)
- Turkmenistan migration tax 10+4 USD per person, to be paid at land borders (subject to change)
- Photo/video fees at historical sites and museums